Remote Wireless Fridge Thermometer

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 11:50
ThreadID: 134419 Views:7901 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
In addition to the temp gauge on my dual compartment fridge I use two wireless thermometers to monitor temps remotely but find them not all that good with reception often being lost.

The first unit is a Waeco branded unit but if the sender and receiver loose contact the do not automatically reconnect as as batteries have to be removed from both units and reinserted in a set sequence. Its range is also poor and looses contact often.

The second unit is a cheap Jaycar unit and actually works well - when contact is lost it reconnects automatically but they only come in one channel so only one unit can be used.

Both units having batteries in the sender unit suffer from lower battery performance as temps reduce in the fridge - particularly the Waeco which range can reduce to almost zero when in the freezer and drops out a lot.

So my ideal would be a sender unit that is external to the fridge so its batteries do not suffer in the cold with a wired sensors that go into the fridge. Ideally a double unit so both compartments can be monitored so the remote receiver would need to display two temps - failing this a single transmitter/ receiver that has different channels so two units can be used side by side.

Does anyone know if such a unit exists and where to get it?

Thanks

Garry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Malcom M - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 12:27

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 12:27
Depending on your fridge, you can steal power to supply the sender.
For instance, Waeco usually have an internal light. A bit of electronic magic may let you use that power to run the sender.
You'd need to check volts to the light plus what volts are needed by the sender.
AnswerID: 609211

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 16:40

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 16:40
Thanks - yes an option but I would prefer something already made up.

Cheers

garry
FollowupID: 879043

Reply By: Member - Jim B8 - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 12:34

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 12:34
Look up Evacool, I use 2 of these units, one in the fridge and one in the freezer. The reason these are good, is that the sensor wire goes inside the cabinet, and the wireless unit is external, clipped to the side of the fridge. Display is inside. They are a cheap unit, but work well to a point. Too much distance or too much metal reduces the range. These units are branded by a few different suppliers, so the Evacool ones are the same as other brands.
good luck
AnswerID: 609212

Follow Up By: b1b - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 12:49

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 12:49
I also have 2 or 3 Evacool units in various fridges around home but one is permanently in the fridge in the twin cab. The fridge in the back of the twin cab is a Waeco CFX which has a blue tooth remote thermometer, sold separately which also has controls on the receiver. Whilst the Waeco remote has battery voltages, temperature, and alarms etc, they lose contact with each other and is annoying. I put it down to being in the back of the ute and shielded by the extra body work.. However, the Evacool works perfectly all day, every day.
I reckon the Evacool, and as Jim said, are marketed under different brands. Also not much difference in price between the "genuine" Waeco remote and the Evacool but the Waeco has the extra functions, nice if it worked consistently though.
Nothing worse than your barby meat going off or your drinks being warm
b1b
FollowupID: 879037

Follow Up By: Batt's - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 15:03

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 15:03
I also have the Evakool unit it's been good for a few yrs now I could put the receiver in the lounge room and it would pick up a signal from the fridge when it is in the 4WD parked outside. I put an alloy canopy on the ute a couple of yrs ago and it could still pick up a signal in the cabin but occasionally it lost it for a moment or 2 but I was surprised it could get a signal at all through all that alloy.
About 1 yr ago I fitted a BCDC charger next to the fridge and now I can't pick up a signal even with the canopy open and the units near each other to much electrical interference I expect bit of a bugger that. So if you have too many electrical items or metal nearby it may cause trouble other than that they're a good unit and the batteries last a long time.
FollowupID: 879042

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 16:43

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 16:43
Thanks for that - look like a good unit. Contacted the seller and they said they only run one the same channel, so cannot use two nearby but if I also use the Jaycar one for the warmer fridge section would work well (assuming the Jaycar one uses a different frequency).

Cheers

Garry
FollowupID: 879044

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 12:39

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 12:39
My experience is identical to you Gary with the exception that my Jaycar unit has performed flawlessly to date.....
As for the Companion (green coloured one)..... it is a complete waste of money and sometimes work..other times don't...
I will watch this post with great interest as I have been trying to find same as you for ages
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 609213

Reply By: DBN05 (tas) - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 13:07

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 13:07
Afternoon Garry,

I have a wireless Thermometer/Hydrometer with jumbo LCD from Jaycar. This unit will support up to 8 indoor/outdoor sensors. Cat # C0328.
I have one sender in freezer in the caravan,another in fridge and the third in fridge in my 4x4. I have had this unit in my van now for over two years and have only replaced the batteries once in that time. I do only buy top on the line batteries, not 20 for $2 types..

Hope this helps you.

Harvey DBN05 (tas)
I NEVER get lost, but don't i see a lot of NEW places.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 609214

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 16:45

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 16:45
Thanks - sounds like a great option.

I will have a look at the Jaycar website and followup with a visit.

Cheers

Garry
FollowupID: 879045

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 21:23

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2017 at 21:23
I also have the Jaycar wireless unit and it works great. They tell you to use Lithium AAA's in the sender so it can still work in the cold.
AnswerID: 609226

Reply By: Malcom M - Wednesday, Mar 08, 2017 at 06:27

Wednesday, Mar 08, 2017 at 06:27
Maybe one of these then-
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-WS-10-Ambient-Weather-Wireless-LCD-Digital-Thermometer-Humidity-Indoor-Outdoor-8-Channel-Thermo-Hygrometer/32792054105.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.42.2EPnP3&ws_ab
8 channel capable but displays 4 at a time on large display.
Comes with 3 remote sensors
AnswerID: 609236

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, Mar 08, 2017 at 12:57

Wednesday, Mar 08, 2017 at 12:57
Thanks for that - with lithium batterys should achieve my end result. Cheers

Garry
FollowupID: 879082

Reply By: Coenen N & G (WA) - Friday, Mar 24, 2017 at 17:58

Friday, Mar 24, 2017 at 17:58
We use engel temp guages with wired probe and a long lead to the unit which sits wherever is handy. Abailable wherever you buy an engel! BCF possibly!
AnswerID: 609670

Sponsored Links